I was looking on the internet to see what I could find on this link and I found this really interesting study. The proposal presented in the study was that of NO (Nitric Oxide) the carrier is of qi along the meridians. And it already has initial scientific support. Data are being accumulated indicating the tight relations between NO and acupoint manipulation. First, in rats, NO has been shown to play a role in mediating the cardiovascular responses to electroacupuncture at point 36ST, Second, acupuncture was shown to modulate the expression of NOS under diabetic conditions. Additional experiments demonstrated that acupuncture increased the level of iNOS mRNA in macrophages and while examining the distributions of NO in the skin points of rats it was shown that NO contents and nNOS expression were consistently higher in the skin acupoints/meridians associated with low electric resistance. Together these data show that NO is associated with the functions of acupoint/meridian including their low electric resistance.
I thought this was really interesting and promising for our field, that western researchers are trying to understand it.
Cell biology sees a cell as a complex functioning whole, connected to all other cells. For me this is the main and most important cornerstone of TCM, seeing the body as a complex functioning whole, but with separate organs who have different functions. Same as with cells. They function by themselves, but also need each other.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment